A recent viral TikTok trend has taken the internet by storm in a world where restless nights are all too familiar. The “sleepy girl mocktail” has become a popular concoction, and influencers are raving about its ability to induce a peaceful slumber. But is there any truth to the hype, and what exactly is in this magical potion?
What is the ‘Sleepy Girl Mocktail’?
The sleepy girl mocktail is a bedtime beverage that promises to be a game-changer for those struggling with insomnia. Initially shared by TikToker Calee Shea and later popularized by Gracie Norton in a viral video, this concoction is a blend of:
- ½ cup pure tart cherry juice
- One tablespoon of magnesium powder
- A splash of prebiotic soda or sparkling water
Why are Influencers Raving About It?
Influencers are making big claims about the drink and its sleep benefits. They do have some science to back them up. With its high melatonin concentration, Tart cherry juice is known to induce drowsiness at bedtime. Additionally, researchers are exploring other nutrients in tart cherry juice. For example, tryptophan and polyphenol antioxidants, which may contribute to supporting sleep.
Magnesium, a nutrient many Americans are likely deficient in, can help you sleep longer and have better quality sleep. It also helps manage cortisol, the stress hormone, promoting a calmer state conducive to sleep. Not all magnesium powders are created equal, with experts recommending magnesium glycinate over other forms of the supplement to avoid digestive issues.
The prebiotic soda is in the recipe for taste and does not claim any sleep benefits. Research on these drinks is limited; some may cause adverse digestive effects, like bloating.
Is it Effective and Safe?
While individual responses may vary, many experts say that the research supports the efficacy of these ingredients for better sleep. The mocktail is considered a safer choice than alcohol, which may induce drowsiness but disrupts sleep quality. This mocktail is a safe addition to their nighttime routine for most people.
However, the mocktail may not be suitable for everyone. Some users reported vivid dreams, anxiety, acid reflux, and upset stomach. Before starting a supplement, it’s always wise to consult with a doctor who knows your complete medical history and can advise if a drink of this nature will have risks.
Enhancing the Sleepy Girl Mocktail
For those considering incorporating the sleepy girl mocktail into their nightly routine, some suggest pairing it with a small snack for blood sugar control. Combining the mocktail with foods that promote sleep, such as cheese or almonds, may mitigate blood sugar spikes.
It’s also essential to note that a mocktail will not cure your sleep troubles if that is all you do to improve your sleep routine. You can take simple steps to improve your sleep quality that do not require you to invest in ingredients like magnesium supplements or tart cherry juice:
- Establish a Consistent Sleep Schedule: Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day, even on weekends, helps to regulate your body’s internal clock. This improves the overall quality of your sleep.
- Create a Relaxing Bedtime Routine: Engaging in calming activities before bedtime, such as reading a book, taking a warm bath, or practicing relaxation techniques, signals to your body that it’s time to wind down, promoting better sleep onset.
- Optimize Your Sleep Environment: Ensure your bedroom is dark, quiet, and cool to create an ideal sleeping environment. Investing in a comfortable mattress and pillows to support a restful night’s sleep may also help.
- Limit Exposure to Screens Before Bed: Reduce screen time by at least an hour before bedtime. The blue light emitted from devices can interfere with the production of the sleep hormone melatonin. Further, consider using blue light filters on electronic devices or engaging in activities that do not involve screens.
- Mindful Eating and Hydration: Avoid heavy meals, caffeine, and excessive fluids close to bedtime to prevent sleep disruptions. Choose sleep-friendly snacks if you need to eat before bed. Stay hydrated throughout the day to avoid waking up due to thirst.
For a guided revamp of your sleep routine, visit our 5-day program that can implement these health habits!
The sleepy girl mocktail has captured the attention of social media influencers and sleep-deprived individuals seeking a natural remedy for insomnia. With a blend of scientifically-backed ingredients, this bedtime remedy is a promising solution for some. However, individual responses and potential side effects warrant caution. Coupled with lifestyle adjustments and dietary changes, the sleepy girl mocktail may contribute to a more restful night’s sleep for those willing to explore this trending remedy.
Are you struggling to get the sleep you need despite remedies and lifestyle changes? It might be time to consider a sleep study. Visit www.advancedhomecareonline.com/sleep-studies, where we can help get one coordinated for you.